View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Those Long Journeys - how to cope.

I had a long trip to do today - not long for those of you in the colonies but it was long for me - 150 miles each way on mostly 2 lane roads with some passing places and lots of trucks. It was between Edinburgh and Inverness which is just north of the "Whiskey" (hic) trail - however this was for work, and it was mostly (morning and evening) in the dark as Scotland is quite North.

Usually for these trips I try the radio or lots of music, some calm and some not - depending on what I'm listening too. But I get bored and want to press on which is hard as overtaking on these roads is tricky - long blind corners and of course speed cameras.

And in the hills the radio is less reliable, so I tried something else.

The BBC has been running a series on Raymond Chandler - the "Classic Chandler" series and I've managed to get a recording of all of these via my PC and DAB. I put them all onto a USB stick and played them there and back and it filled the time superbly. The lack of being "bored" meant I was unstressed and the time passed really well.

So what (if anything) do EM'ers do to fill those long, drawn out trips - music, audiobooks or even real people.

(BTW I didn't do "great" MPG on this trip, I just didn't feel the need to overtake anything in my way...)