View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...back in my younger days, I drove 1800+ miles non-stop from Memphis, TN, to Yuma, AZ, in 30 hours, stopping only for gas and pee-breaks.

...do the math, that's an average speed of 60 mph continuously.

...it's just a matter of LOT's of coffee, doughnuts, and LOUD music, with the WINDOWS wide open for LOT's of fresh air...especially about 3-4 a.m. in the morning!

I did the same when I was about 21, driving with a companion from NY City to Colorado, nonstop. That wasn't too bad. But our trip had a more grueling leg when we drove part of the return portion from San Francisco through Reno. We couldn't find any motel with a vacancy after Reno, so we had to drive all night across Nevada. Towns are about 80 miles apart. It was June and the car had no working heater. But it is damn cold in the desert at night - it was 33 degrees at dawn at the Utah state line, and we had frost on the inside of the windshield. I was glad I couldn't see the terrain in the dark, because if I had been able to see how desolate it is I would have been worried. The road was the most poorly paved Interstate highway I've ever seen. I put the most irritating music I could find on the radio and needed to keep slapping myself in the face every minute or so to keep awake to keep going until we reached Salt Lake City. We got there safely and slept most of the following day.

So 300 miles round trip is pretty easy by comparison. I'm ''on the wrong side of fifty' and still have done that in one day.