View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
firdale
EcoModding Lurker

metro tire

Well admit im lazy n didn't read other metro tire threads, but we have alwaqys gotten the best FE from the now impossible to find (at least in our area) 145x12s. Have 14 inch and 13 inch mags a couple of the cars came with, but could never get as good milage from them as we could with stock size tires. Which on ours seem to be all 12 inch. Was really noticable in winter when even studded 12's would consistently get more MPG than bigger diameters. Probably becoming a mute point as all I can find around here are 155x12's anymore (and none with studs). But, as an example my wife commutes @150 miles 3 days a week. The 145x12's would consistently hit mid to slightly upper 50's on her 4 door. 155x12's get 51-53. Her's is the best FE metro we have in the fleet of 8 in our family. The others are all in upper 40's with 12 inch wheels and 13 inch mags, low 40's for the 14 inch mags. Of course my daughter's automatic stuggles to hit 40 no matter what we do to it.
And, metros off paved tarmac aren't a good long term plan. I commute 5 days a week on a ralley car race stage of gravel, potholes and ruts. Was optomistic and took my metro one day. Was pretty clear it wouldn;'t survive long term. I bought a jeep xj and am shooting for 25 mpg out of it.
With 12 in tires getting very hard to find in my area, would love to hear what you settle on for wheels and tire combination and how it does in FE.