View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
JethroBodine
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Bonneville 2012 or Bust

Recent events have presented themselves in such a manner as to facilitate me going to Bonneville Salt Flats next year, Sept 8-11. Not Aerohead's kind and generous offer to help funding the trip, but the timing of events occurring around me and my family are allowing me to take on a huge challenge like this. This last summer had me recovering from reconstructive surgery on my left ankle, and missing any trips I would have gone on. Hopefully next summer, all will be well.

The OBJECTIVE;
Associating road mileage performance with top speed performance, meeting up with fellow Ecomodders on the trip, getting the best mileage possible on the trip( shooting for 70 plus mpg, joining the 130mph club, and most important of all, having an adventure of a lifetime.

The EVENT;
USFRA World of Speed. Sept 8-11, 2012

The VEHICLE;
The newly renamed "Franken-Jetta". Since I've recently purchased a 1.6 litre diesel engine(normally aspirated), I can proceed with the WVOil mod I've had on the back burner for over a decade. As the rules do not allow or disallow the use of WVO on the run( as I read it anyway), I will be getting info about that later.

The CREW;
My son and I. All others are welcome to come along, make meeting points before and/or after the salt. As in keeping with Bennelson's plan for an event next summer, this will be videoed when possible in case of a connection to his event. Aerohead missed running in 2011, so I'm pretty sure he will be redoubling his efforts in 2012. Others have expressed interest, Redyaris, Brucepic,... all are involved whether going or not. Good wishes and encouragement are always appreciated.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC