View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mifunego
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
On my old 97 Jeep Cherokee, I replaced the original tires with BFG Off Road TA's. They allowed 55psi, which gained 2mpg, I don't remember the size, but they barely fit with the stock suspension. The Jeep's replacement, 04 Tundra 4x4 has your problem, brand new dealer installed for the sales lot, 35psi max tires. I should have looked more closely at the ratings. I hate to spend $600.00+ or so on tires, when there's probably 30,000 miles left on the ones I have. I am worried in the rocks though, they're not BFG's.
I've been thinking about replacement tires. These Yokos are pretty skittish in the rain, I assume they will just be scary in the snow. My first idea was to get a set of dedicated winters, but then I'd need another set of rims. Your idea is good though, get a set of severe winter duty A/Ts and run them all year round. I had some of the BFG A/Ts on a Jeep and those things were great in winter and wore like iron. I was just hoping that there would be something just as tall but a little skinnier than 10.5" (or 265 in P metric) to reduce frontal area, rotating mass, etc.