View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
92-95 F150 bucking hesitation modification

Not many here own one but I found something today that worked nice. Mine is the 300 6cyl and 5 speed with a 2.73 rear end. These trucks were notorious for bucking and hesitation on light acceleration, even when new.

Apparently mine had been to a dealership for this problem before I bought it, had new Ford (Motorcraft) plugs, distributor cap and plug wires. Only 85k on the odometer when I got the truck. Smoothest idle of any vehicle I have ever owned.

After searching the web for any solutions, I found a thread on one of the F150 forums about the possible solutions to this issue. The thread was several pages and the solution was to add a restrictor to the EGR circuit to lower the tip in volume of EGR.

It cost me a whole 11 cents at True Value for a 1/8 inch ID 3/4 inch OD galvanized fender washer. The nut holding the tube to the EGR valve had not been touched since 1992, and it was hard to even get and turn on it with a 15 inch crescent wrench, wouldn't budge. After some gentle persuasion with a hammer and some heat from a MAP gas bottle, a hammer whack on the wrench got it to move. Installed the washer (perfect fit) between the EGR tube and the valve body.

I had learned to just step on the gas more to avoid the nasty bucking, so it took awhile to get used to ignoring my previous solution and drive it like a diesel, since it's geared that way. The difference is astounding. There is no CEL and I can feel just the slightest amount of hesitation on very light acceleration, just enough to know there is still sufficient EGR.

Might be worth a try if you have one of that era of F150. I'll check to see if the mileage improves, although it was not that terrible before. I just don't drive the truck that much anymore, maybe 100-150 miles a month or less.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 11-22-2011 at 08:59 PM..