View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
2012 Sorento GDI 4 cyl

This is the wifes vehicle. I took it to the dealership today for the first check over (free) with 1200 miles (in 2 months and 1 week). Driving in a heavy rain this morning the fuel consumption gauge was reading 30 MPG on the highway.

After some stops and on the return trip I reset the gauge on entering the Interstate. Cruising along at 65-72 MPH I saw the reading peak at 36 MPG, after exiting the 12 miles stretch of road the guage was reading 35 MPG average for that leg of the trip. She has been consistently averaging 25-26 MPG overall for the last 3 tanks of fuel, including the original tank filled at the dealer.

The power is not that high, 191 HP and a 3800 pound vehicle, but the mileage I saw today after only 1200 miles on the odometer shows the potential for great highway mileage in a large heavy SUV type of vehicle.
While many here frown on ownership of this type of vehicle, I find the potential mileage of this one to be exceptional, considering what it is.

The 6 speed automated manual transmission also works well for economy shifting early enough so that you can stay at higher loads on the engine and the tach reads right at 2k RPM at 62 MPH.

One of the few vehicles that shows that the Korean manufacturers are really focusing on mileage. I think they did an excellent job on this one, especially considering its weight, which with me driving was close to two tons.

I would love to try one of their smaller sedans to see what it's potential would be, either a manual or the 6 speed automated manual. I know they are coming out with start-stop technology soon.

regards
Mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (11-22-2011)