View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ladogaboy
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post

EDIT: Hrmmmm, on second thought, I don't like this. I won't be able to coast in neutral anymore, .

CarloSW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You know what? I think the writer got the terminology slightly wrong. They're really semi-automatic manuals, or automated manuals.
They are, more or less, the same. It really just comes down to semantics. And CarloSW2's point is valid; dual clutch systems do affect one's ability to perform certain hypermiling techniques. My former car was (for all intents and purposes) a detuned version of my current car, but it had a dual-clutch transmission. Even though my former car was rated as having better fuel economy than my current car, it wouldn't have allowed me drive in the manner that has garnered me the biggest mileage gains in my current car.

In my opinion, these dual clutch systems come down market appeal. Driving with paddle shifters makes people feel like race car drivers (as a result, these transmissions might indirectly result in worse ACTUAL mileage). Don't want to drive in manual mode? Simple. Hit a button, and it drives like an automatic. A completely anemic driving experience.

Now, in terms of hitting the CAFE's 35 mpg across the fleet, I don't think that's going to be very hard for them at all. When the new Mustang gets 31 mpg with ~300 hp and has the aerodynamics of a parachute, I think they just need to make some small steps. Direct injection, LRR tires, and the aero mods should me more than enough to take them to 40 mpg pretty easily.

The hard part will be the truck/van/suv fleet. I am personally not opposed to having slightly different restrictions for vehicles with > 2,000 lb payload capacity; > 5,000-10,000 lb towing capacity; and seating for six or more passengers. The last is the most dubious on the list, and despite regulations, those vehicles could still be driven around by a single individual with no cargo whatsoever.