View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

i have an '09 sonata, 5 speed. The wife drives it primarily. We are quite happy with it. Haven't really followed mileage that closely, but, I suspect it is around high 20s/low 30s overall.

One of these days I will get around to monitoring it more closely, with some hypermiling technique thrown in.

If there is one thing I could change, it would be a higher 5th gear. I believe that would squeeze an extra mile or two per gallon.

One other thing that is annoying is it's tendency to stall during launch if you do not feed it some throttle. I've been driving stick for over 30 years and am pretty good at it. Other vehicles I've had were much less fussy about this. The odd thing is, it does not lack low end torque. I can put along at very low revs happily, so long as I am feeding it a bit of throttle.

This condition is enough of an annoyance that I would probably have gone with the slushbox, were I to buy it again. Also, if I am not mistaken, the auto mpg numbers are actually a tad higher, which is sort of weird. Don't know if these numbers are reflected in real world driving.