View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
low&slow
Master EcoModder

l&s' Jag - '00 Jaguar S-Type SE
90 day: 25.86 mpg (US)

l&s' Vision - '82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
90 day: 59.92 mpg (US)

L&S' Greenaero Ninja 250 - '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F Ninja 250R
90 day: 97.24 mpg (US)

SilverAero Ninja 250 - '04 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja
90 day: 88.24 mpg (US)
Hi Frank, You are correct about the 70 mph speed limit for the route and that the speed limit was not strictly adhered to. We were far from the fastest traffic on HWY 15 that day. One of Craig's rules is that competitors not get passed by the designated trailing vehicle . Usually in Vetter Challenges, Craig's streamliner fills that role. This time he was the route leader and the trailing vehicle was Craig's SUV driven by his wife. I was probably the only one to go as fast as 80 mph and it was to catch up with the group when I was forced to slow down due to crosswind handling problems with my bike. It wasn't for very long and then the ~70mph pace was resumed.
The 4 grocery bag carrying capability was not enforced for this run as it was marketed as a " fun run" without the strict rules enforcement that is planned for next year's Challenges. Under the future rules the 2 diesel bikes would have had to have carried the 4 bags as they lacked the interior storage capacity of Alan's, Craig's and my bike. Actually Alan and I were carrying all our luggage, tools and raingear during the run.
Craig's goal is to encourage the development of motorcycles that can achieve 100 mpg , that can stay with the flow of traffic , that can carry at least the equivalent of 4 bags of groceries , and can maintain 70 mph into a 30 mph headwind. These are difficult standards to achieve with only Fred Hayes doing it 3 times ( Carmel, Ohio, & LV to Barstow ) , ALan, Craig and Max Perethian breaking through at Ohio this year. Going slower would make it easier but Craig's rules don't allow it.
all the best, L&S