View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Alaphlosiam
Hypermiling newbie

Charis - '05 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 43.29 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Alaphlosiam Send a message via MSN to Alaphlosiam
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffildy View Post
theres not a whole lot of very good mpg cars in that price range
a volkswagon jetta can be had for that and gets decent mpg.
Urgh, I've heard way too many horror stories about maintaining VWs. My friend's friend has a Passat Wagon that he has to fix weekly, but he's also an idiot.
Quote:
a car to look out for is the honda insight 2001 or so version; it gets much much better mpg than the later versions because its manual with better drag/weight but i doubt youll find one outside of a salvage yard for under 3k.
Haha, yeah, if I find an '01 Insight for under $5k and under 250k miles I'll poop myself. (That's not a promise.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The difference between E10 and E15 is virtually nothing. If E10 affected the engine poorly (which afaik has only been the case for pre OBDII vehicles, my 97 Paseo probably looses 1 mpg with E10), it'll be virtually the same with E15.
I haven't done too much research into it myself, but apparently the entire fuel system just starts to get gummed up a bit more. I mean, I could also get additive for every time I fill up my tank, but that's a $3-4 extra bit every tank, so that defeats the purpose of hypermiling...