View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I avoid E10 gasoline and pay the extra 70 cents per tank for the higher grade gasoline and feel like it makes up for it in improved mileage, of course others see no change in mileage.
With a $3,000 budget you should be able to get something nice, not just a beater, as I see it you have a lot of options depending on how hard you search and how much you negotiate on price, look on Ebay for a car like the Civic VX and you will find ones like the one that recently sold for around $5,500 check craigslist every day and you can find ones like mine for $1,100, photos of the Ebay VX and my VX could be set side by side and most people would think they were the same car, no rust and so on.
List of cars that I would search for would be Toyota Corrola/Geo Prizim with a 5 speed, Honda Civic with a 5 speed, Toyota Tercel, even a Saturn SL1 is going to get decent mileage and as long as it hasn't been trashed should be a decent car, much more reliable then a Volkswagon, for $3,000 you might even find something really nice! if you aren't to big you might even look at cars like Toyota Celica's, they'll get 35-40mpg with the 5 speed if you get an older one.