View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Very cool. I was thinking the same thing, as there doesn't seem to be a panel that moves out of the way during turns. There are also no steps for the driver to get into the vehicle and likely not enough airflow through the radiator. Not to mention panel gaps for the cab suspension. However, with such a cursory (and even condescending) overview, it's hard to tell what is actually happening.

Another problem, and I've been told this by those in the industry, is that they keep the basic cab form for decades and just restyle the nose cone. The nose in turn has to fit over the engine and cooling package, which makes it boxy. Anyway the point is they have a lot invested in these platforms and it would take millions of dollars just to retool for the manufacture of that cab, not counting design expenses and actually convincing companies to use it. That's why just buying new trailers is cost effective for the companies- the drivers can keep their trucks and the trucks don't cost any more. It's a challenge that can be overcome but it's not going to be easy.

I've got some ideas for a truck... hmm. Transportation Design senior looking for work