View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I'm probably missing something. The goal is to bring the coolant to op-temp ASAP, right? So why not an exhaust brake? Most, if not all of the benefit (and others besides), but without the complications of another "cooling system". A KIMM Hotstart plus an exhaust brake plus a MOPAR winter front covers a lot. (Silicone heat pads for the rest). An ESPAR or WEBASTO otherwise.

The exhaust brake -- to expand on this -- goes directly to best & highest use as the DODGE Bodybuilders Guide states that this device is pretty much a necessity for towing trailers in excess of 10k pounds. I plan to have one on my CTD in the coming calendar year.

Actually the goal is NOT to warm the coolant up ASAP. If that was the goal, I'd just go out, put the truck in neutral, and rev it a bunch of times. Or I could just drive really hard to begin with. But that defeats the goal of trying to improve FE.

My goal is to warm up the coolant faster WITHOUT having to burn more fuel to do it. Here's the way I figure it. Fuel energy goes one of 3 places: driveshaft work, coolant heat loss, exhaust heat loss. If I can use the exhaust energy to warm up the coolant faster, then I will have used exhaust heat energy to decrease the coolant heat loss (warmer coolant temps mean less temperature difference so less coolant heat loss).

I have an '07 so I already have an exhaust brake. It's actually not an exhasut brake per se (i.e., not a throttle valve in the exhaust). It's got a VG turbo. What happens is that when you engage the exhasut brake during motoring it closes down the VG so the turbo is at max capacity. That increasing the pumping work of the engine. An exhasut brake WILL cause the engine to warm up faster, but only because you're burning more fuel by making the engine work harder. I want to work the engine just the same, but warm up faster.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html