View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
The point is styling and space. Nobody makes a large fuel efficient wagon anymore. If you need a large spacious vehicle, you get an SUV or a minivan. Who wants to drive a minivan forever. My Rondo is (was in the US) Kia's fwd wagon. It is similar in interior space, 400lb lighter, and gets way worse fuel economy. The fact is, SUV's are popular with the public and so that is where the car makers put their new technology. The new GDI engines are very impressive. It's too bad that there isn't a wagon on the market that has one, only sedans and SUV's.
what ^^^^ said.

all of the car makers jumped on the suv bandwagon and abandoned wagons for some odd reason.

i guess it has something to do with american lemmings buying into the minivans and wagons aren't cool nonsense which is pedaled by auto maker marketers. If I am not mistaken, subaru and vw are the only ones that haven't dropped traditional wagons.

You would think that with high fuel prices here to stay apparently, they would get back into the business, but they haven't yet. well, toyota sort of did with the veranza, but, they still couldn't help themselves and unneccesarily jacked it up a few inches in fear people might think it was a camry wagon.

i think in the next few years you will see more true wagons reappear. or atleast i hope so.

as for the obvious superiority of DI, why are auto companies not going to it exclusively. i don't believe the manufacturing costs are much above PI.

Guess that's all about marketing as well.