View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Many at Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community have tried this.
The only positive is a slight top end gain.
One (don't remember who) drives long enough to eliminate the warm up issue.

Why are you wanting to delete it ? Intake/intercooler restriction/crud ?
Changing the PCV to vent into a can instead of the intake will nearly eliminate the intake crud. With no oil to stick to the EGR soot just goes right through.
YMMV
I have done extensive searching and reading on Fred's site. No one has done due diligence in demonstrating fuel mileage changes with EGR removal. This should involve imitating the conditions of EGR to the computer so it makes no changes in how it fuels the engine -- when the CEL is lit, the ECM will retard the timing to avoid the creation of NOx and mileage will decrease.

To answer your question, I want to convince myself removing EGR improves engine efficiency. I hypothesize it will, and I want to demonstrate it in fact, with as much control over the experiment as I can get.

And secondarily, to keep the intake from clogging. Many on Fred's site make the claim the newer diesel fuels will keep this from happening. I pulled my intake and cleaned it two years ago, and it was a mess. I may do it again in the spring and see if there is appreciable buildup. I am not sure the new diesel fuels are any different in that regard. And I also don't believe you can remove enough of the oil in the intake to prevent the crud from sticking; if there is a fuel efficiency gain from removing EGR, that is the better solution for me.