View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
jonbest
EcoModding Lurker

The green car - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Hey, all, new to the forum!

Looks like I'm not the first, or even second, Virginia newbie this week! I've got a 1998 Civic DX sedan (manual), bought new, that I expect I'll be driving for quite a while. I've recently looked into increasing fuel economy, and tried some basic hypermiling over the last few weeks, mostly from lurking here.

80% of my driving is an 8 mile commute with a handful of stoplights, where it's sparse enough that I can go anywhere from 40 to 60 without bothering anybody. Up until a couple weeks ago, I was probably hitting 50-55 a lot on 45 mph roads.

First most-of-a-tank result (started changing my driving at about 2/3 full) moved me from a consistent 32-33 mpg to 37! And a more relaxing drive to boot. Nice big early win, I think.

Turns out from further reading that I'm probably accelerating too slow, and I haven't tried any P&G yet. I'm hoping to hit a mod-less 40mpg in the next tank or two. Then it's probably grill block(s? Any point to blocking the little grill with the Honda emblem on it?), belly pan, and I need new tires soon anyway. We'll see where it goes from there.

Thanks for looking!

Jon