View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
How to make my 4 banger a 3 cylinder

Just wondering how feasible it would be to cut one of the cylinders off from the ignition sequence to maybe try and save some fuel.

I know that I have enough power to afford to lose one of the cylinders, but I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Lexus mechanic (for those less informed, lexus and toyota are the same thing mechanically), and he said that if I just removed the spark plug, the injectors would still be dumping in fuel and I would just have a dash light on to annoy me for my efforts, so I wouldn't save any fuel. The only thing he said that might work is if you somehow plugged up the injector for the 4th cylinder, but as to how to do that, I have no idea. He also mentioned that if I did that, the other cylinders might start dumping extra fuel in to compensate for the lose in compression from the one cylinder...but since he has never had anyone try it that he knows of, he doesn't know exactly what would happen.

Can anyone give some more insight into the feasibility of this mod, if there is any?