View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
busypaws
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
Guess I better close this one out. Made it to Detroit on Monday 21st at 9pm. Total of the 5 tanks 50.3 mpg. I did not P&G as much as I thought. I spent more time listening to the books on CD then P&G. I learned I could not do both at the same time (and still be safe). I did not set any alarms at the hotels so I slept as much as I needed. That was good. I also stopped and "went" whenever I needed at an entrance/exit ramp. I did not wait (or plan) on the next rest stop. When I needed a bio break I did it on the next exit ramp and then got right back on. I had enough diet cokes, water to last the whole 9-10 hours a day. I filled up at the hotel breakfast bar every morning, snacked on fruit/cereal during the drive and then had a good meal in the evening. I've been driving a few days here in Detroit and have noticed a few things:
1) Need to put the passanger wipper back on. It rains/snows more here then in San Jose.
2) I can't EOC or shut off at long lights, I'm waiting for the front window to totally defrost before I EOC. I finally understand all you "Northerners" problems in the winter.
3) Covered parking a must here in Detroit at appartment. Electrical outlet will be a bonus.
4) Coroplast does not hold up under in lots of water. Lost both under engine coroplast sheets during drive. Also lost passanger side view mirror coroplast after a week in Detroit.
5) I'm debating on how much of my tools/parts I can put in my office while I search for an appartment. I want to get the weight out of the car but I know I'll have to carry everything back out, put in car, and then transfer to appartment.

Overall a good trip. I missed a few updates because the hotels did not have "free" internet and it takes some effor to get the pictures into a format that is "uploadable".
The 50.3 mpg is disappointing but that is running at a 5-10 mph below the posted speed and not P&G since I was listening to books on CD. (I listened to a Clive Custler and a Patterson book during the trip. I started another book but got bored after 5 hours and switched to Patterson).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB210022-s.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	9819