View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
12.1 at the battery compared to my Maxima that has not moved in 24 hours reading 12.45. The chilton manual reading of 12.25 is higher than your battery voltage. I don't think you are seeing any problem though as the volatge should be sufficient down to less than 10. Possibly older battery?

You are not reading any voltage with the relay installed versus bypassed? If so then the car should not start with the relay installed but start with it bypassed? That would be either the relay or the power source to swtch the relay.

The relay should have two different size wires, possibly a total of 4 wires (maybe more if it is multifunction). Check the voltage across the smaller wires, then across the larger wires. A relay is just a magnetic coil that works a higher power connection through a lower power connection. You may be able to take the cover off of the relay and actuate it manually. The relay should have power to the high tension circuit constantly. When actuated it should have basically the same current going in and coming out of the high tension part. The low tension part will have a voltage drop, not sure how much but the resistiance of the coil that moves the contacts together requires some power.

The relay is probably energized by the ignition switch. Anyway, if I understand your post it seems like the relay is not doing the job. What you need to do is check to make sure the relay is getting good voltage, enough to make it work properly. If you find it has good voltage then the relay is your prime suspect. You can even install a bypass and a switch to power the pump in an emergency, as long as you use the same circuit you have fuse protection. If you make a completely new connection then use an in line fuse for protection. If you have replaced the realy and nothing changed, the odds are you have an issue with the power getting to the relay to activate the coil inside of the relay.

regards
Mech