View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Andale
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Don't scoff at something being "only" a trickle charger. I slapped one of these on my shed once the snow melted and by the time I needed to use the mower it worked. Usually I have to drive out to the shed or push the mower back to the house so I can jump it the first couple times I use it. This year it started right up- not too shabby for $25.
I don't mean to sound like I'm scoffing at the idea. I love trickle charger solar and think they should become a standard. I t would be worth it for car companies to add a strip of solar in the dash of every new vehicle, but I would bet we never see it for ... well... a lot of dumb reasons mostly to do with hurting future sales by removing built in obsolescence.
If every vehicle had a trickle panel then we'd rarely find ourselves trapped and in need of a jump, but once you did you could be certain the battery was VERY DEAD. This is assuming that the car is smart enough to turn off the high wattage stuff.

I only said what I did before to imply that I don't think there are any worthwhile applications other than trickle charging. Does the cost of replacing the alternator with a car-length coating of solar materials equal out in gas savings within 10 years. Doesn't that much material add up to more weight than an alternator anyway. You reduce drag on the engine but add weight to the wheels and possibly deform the airflow over the vehicle. I just don't see it as a cost-worthy application of solar. I love to see experiments so I would never put down anyone who tries that sort of thing, but I will be practical and ask questions.
I still think we (as in everyone, not the U.S., not the ecomodders) need to find a way to start sheeting the top of semi-trailers with solar panels and convert all the trucks to run heat/air off that. Do you know how many states don't make it illegal to idle a semi while it is parked? I've talked to truckers that say they've sat at idle over 24 hours just to keep the truck warm. Some trucks are built smart and cut on/off, some have generators (which are usually gas and that is very funny to me).

Sorry, my 2 cents/rant is now complete.