View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The more I think about it the more I wonder why the pump would work when the ignition switch was in the accessory position. Honda forums usually have a couple of real pros who have more Honda specific knowledge than myself.

I would check the voltage at the positive terminal of the ignition coil, it should be close to battery voltage under the same conditions.

Also if you have the car running check the voltage at the battery to see if the charging system is working properly.

If you want to get the electrical portion of the ignition switch and it is not too expensive it might be a good shot to replace it. We had them in stock at my old Nissan shop so we could just plug in a new one and see if it solved the problems.

Or, you could check for voltage drops at the ignition switch (remove bottom cover of the steering column). A voltage drop is almost certainly the best evidence of finding the real source of your problem, since ignitions switches are not supposed to have any resistance to create a voltage drop.

You have determined that the fuel pump is not the only problem and the spark is weak. I think you have already replaced the distributor and plugs. The old plugs were cruddy and had a large gap. How about the ignition wires and the coil?

See if the coil wire has a good spark compared to the plug wires themselves. If so then its in the cap and plug wires. If not it's probably the coil or low voltage to the coil.

regards
Mech