View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I agree I'd much rather have more than one and/or at least the ability to borrow or rent larger vehicles when needed.

Other than that though the Prius really meets every need we currently have besides hauling 4X8 sheets of building supplies. It fits 8ft lumber in it with the hatch closed and could fit longer (haven't tried it yet). I'm sure it wouldn't have any problem pulling a small trailer too. As stock you can get 50 mpg on the highway by setting the cruise to the speed limit (no fancy driving techniques necessary). IMO this is a huge plus as I can beat my Prius' mileage in my Paseo, but its a heck of a lot more work. In town under 40 mph you're looking at 70-100 mpg with easy P&G due to automatic start/stop. Add an aftermarket plugin kit and you can double that mileage and have a short range EV that uses no gas. Its also a very clean burning vehicle unlike a diesel or lean burner (both of which I'd love to own as well). Of course the down side would be the battery pack which would eventually need to be replaced/rebuilt at some point in the future. I'd fully expect it to last 15+ years though. At that point you could probably replace it with a beefed up pack of your own... The only other bad thing to say about a 2nd gen Prius is that the seats aren't the most comfortable for long trips.