View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,557 Posts
'95 Del Sol, need some advice!

Hi all!

I have a '95 Del Sol VTEC trim, currently running a B18A1 motor mated to the stock B16's very short Y21 transmission. I'm getting 30mpg +/- 2 per tank, and it doesn't seem to vary as much as I would expect when I'm driving primarily in the city vs the highway.

I'm running the stock B18B1 computer with OBD1 wiring. The closed loop mix seems to be moderately rich, but it runs very lean once warmed up. Strangely, I don't seem to get *much* of a mileage difference when running on only closed loop fuel mappings, but I don't have any gauges yet, which leads me to my first question:

What gauge do you guys recommend? MPGuino? I know exactly zero about these gauges, so please help me get started!

I'm thinking swapping the transmission out for one with longer gears (LS tranny, GSR tranny?) would be helpful. At 75mph I'm running around 3800rpm with very low engine load. How hard would it be to swap out the 5th gear only in my tranny? I've never done any transmission work.

I've also been thinking of swapping the cams out with B18B cams. I've read that they have higher lift, but also that the intake cam is advanced 5 degrees over the B18A1 cams. Anyone have experience with advancing cam timing on B-series motors? Any suggestions on cams?

I'm running 195/60R14 tires right now, at 32psi. What pressure should I be running? When it comes time to swap tires, what would be an ideal replacement? My speedometer is currently off a few mph (high) so I'm thinking taller, skinnier tires would both fix my gauge issue and reduce rolling resistance.

I have coilovers and I'm currently riding at about stock height. Will dropping the car an inch or two significantly reduce my Cd?

Thanks all! Will post more questions if I think of them.

Some pics:

Under the rear bumper:

Terribly un-aerodynamic front end:

Last edited by Ecky; 12-06-2011 at 10:54 PM..