View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
payne171
EcoModding Apprentice

Gray Jellybean - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 62.76 mpg (US)
Well, I know there are a lot of people more knowledgeable on here than I am, but here are a few things I can tell you:

First, and I'm just throwing this out there, but if you're game for swapping major drivetrain components out, can you find one of the lean burn honda engine/transmission combos? 1992–95 Civic VX 1996–2000 Civic Hx 2001-05 Civic Hx. You can't do much better and especially the 92-95 ought to be really simple.

I have heard good things about MPGuino and there are more than a few scanguage users, but I have no firsthand experience with either. Once you get one, you will know why closed loop is so close. I would guess open loop might be pulling some timing, but guess is the key word there.

I wouldn't open the transmission. There is a reason good mechanics often farm out tranny work to other shops. It is way easier to get a taller geared trans. Avoid the higher lift cams. You are driving a Honda b-series. If you want more cam advance, every japanese tuner company under the sun makes an adjustable cam gear for it. Easier to do as well, I hear.

You are probably not running enough tire pressure. On my Insight I am running 50 psi, but the Insight is a different animal. Most ecomodders are at least at max sidewall pressure, and many are well over. Be forewarned, it does have consequences on ride and handling. When it is time for a new set of tires, it is worth looking into tires built for fuel economy. You are right on with skinnier tires,although again with handling consequences.

Lowering will definitely help with aero, or you could fab some underbody trays to do the same. You might be able to fab some aero to smooth the air path from the roof to the trunklid. If I remember the shape of the Del Sol, that can't be a good aero shape.