View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

You have an LS motor, so the LS transmission would be a natural match to it. Should be a relatively easy swap, too.

I've opened up my old D-series transmission, and it was of medium difficulty. I'm not sure how tough the B-series ones are to do. Some of the measurements may be tricky, if my reading of how to work on transmissions from other cars is correct--and that might be the case in any gear swap.

Chances are pretty good that at least some of the shortness of the gearing of your current trans is from the "final drive", the ring and pinion ratio. So swapping the 5th gear for a taller one will only get you some of the way to lower revs at freeway speeds. That's another point for just swapping in the LS trans.

Taller tires would also help you run at lower RPM (and slightly higher load), which would be good for fuel economy. But the speedometer and odometer are only based on how fast the ring gear turns, so they don't "know" anything about the wheel and tire size. So your speedometer would still read 75 MPH at 3800 RPM, even though your actual speed would be higher.

We usually tell people to go up to the max pressure that is listed on their tires. Some go higher, very few people who are serious about fuel economy go lower.

75 MPH is really bad for economy. If you slow down to 65, you'll see results. Drop it to 55, and you'll see even better results.

The ScanGauge only works on OBD-2 cars. The MPGuino is pretty much your only choice. You'll have to figure out the correct wires to tap into.

-soD