View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
SvdM
EcoModding Lurker

Old but Gold - '87 Volkswagen Jetta CSL
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)
@ai_vin
I don't know what 5G has to do with the this... you'll note they used this F-duct system for the long straights to reduce the overall drag of the vehicle. For them it was for top speed, but for Joe Ecomodder it'd be for better fuel economy.

@Frank Lee
I agree, less FA would always win above this. I don't really see this working on many vehicles as components are too tightly packed under the floor. And who'd want to cut a hole through their car inside the cabin, apart from perhaps some die-hard ecomodder with an older cheaper car. I do think there is a lot of scope in perhaps an older pick-up or something similar, since they seem to have a lot of open space between components.

Now lets imagine this older pick-up has already been modded with a flush underbelly from something like coroplast, but now you take it off, stick a pipe or two linking the high pressure front (maybe just aft radiator) to the low pressure back in some space you can find under the chassis and stick your coroplast underbelly back in its original position - hence not increasing the FA. Where one might have vented some of this air out the wheelwells, now you channel it down the smoothest pipe(s) you can make to the back.

Surely this can help and would be easier than fabricating a chopped roof. But yes, I understand how it'd probably not be worth the trouble unless you have a lot of free space to work in that might otherwise have been blocked off.