View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Winter diesel fuel

Does anybody have any real data on the FE effects of winter diesel fuel vs. summer diesel fuel. I've been hearing all this stuff over at Cummins Forum (which generally could care less about FE) about how much the winter fuel kills FE. As far as I can tell, all the "evidence" anecdotal.

For me, I have seen my mileage come down some in the last few months, but pretty much what I'd expect due solely to the weather (low temps, windy, etc.). Granted, the last time I filled up was Nov 8, so maybe I don't have winter fuel. I asked the attendant at the time whether their diesel was winterized. She kinda had this puzzled look on her face and said, "We don't add anything so it so...(shrug) No?"

I'm filling up tonight/tomorrow morning so we'll see if there's a change then. The other day when I was at another station filling up my wife's car I saw they had a sticker indicating the diesel was winterized. I didn't notice any sticker at my station, but I assume they have to have switched to winter diesel by now.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether the winter diesel makes any difference or if it's just the winter that's making the difference. Any thoughts/data?

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html