View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
BHarvey: Sounds like most of the mods you listed benefit max power production. The FCR is a great very tuneable carb no doubt, but I could only find a round slide kit, and those were 31mm listed as *Race Only* vs the stock 27mm. Not sure if there would be a FE benefit there vs tuning the stockers properly. The pod filters are great for top end, large air box volume is beneficial for low and mid range power torque production but there could be a reduced air flow friction benefit though. My GPz550 had pods, they were loud and didn’t really help FE much if at all with Yosh pipe and a jet kit. For 90-100 mpg, the horsepower requirements are far less than what the Ninja 250 can easily make in stock form.

Old Mechanic: Good idea to look at salvage rebuilds! If the broken bodywork will be replaced or covered with a Vetter fairing anyway that is a cost that can be avoided. I’d not buy one without personally inspecting the mechanical and structural parts though.

Redyaris: I know you are doing great things with the GS and Ascot. Larger motors turning slower can also return stellar mpg figures. The air-cooled direction I was hoping to address by the fact that Alans Ninja with the more or less stock front fairing is a lot like the stock air cooled GS. And it tops the gasoline powered FE list in the challenges. This supports the idea that an air cooled design could still work well.

Keep in mind that air still needs to be ducted to a water cooled engine radiator for it to cool the engine.

Vic: I just thought I’d post this to try to get all the heads in the same place about bike selection. If the frame can be easily modified for a low seat, the Ninja is no doubt the obvious choice right now falling within most of the constraints we’ve put on ourselves. I’m sure you’ll find a suitable donor soon. Hope to meet up with you again, next time I expect to be riding.

FXSTi: Right on, the Eliminator is really hard to find and since nobody has mentioned it, just the rare NX, I didn’t either. Other harder to find high MPG bikes that come to mind right now are the Kawasaki GPz305, CSR305, KZ440, Suzuki GN400, GN250, Yamaha SRX250, Honda XL250 1982+. The BMW 650 Rotax is quite fantastic as well I understand.
Wouldn’t that be fantastic to have an Mpguino readout on the bike!

So far it looks like the Ninja 250 is the crowd favorite. Easy, cheap, works pretty well though not optimum.

For big-effort, maybe the optimum current bike would be a modified, lightly crash damaged CBR250R made into an Alligator wannabe, then streamlined? Not exactly easy but should produce an easy 120+ mpg under the Vetter conditions. Brushing up on aluminum welding skills would be a good idea for the frame and swing arm changes.

Anyone have other ideas for a good bike to start with?
HHOTDI (01-30-2012)