View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
This is mainly a complaint from big trucks, IMO. The little yard apes just started repeating it for their honkin' big ol pickemups . . as coolant temps tell most of the story. It is hard to keep the heat in the cab flowing without a winter front in some Class 8 I've driven. So I tend to think that with coolant temps kept high, the small variations introduced by winter fuel (or anti-gel products) is confined to those who track mpg by the tenths. IOW, not as great a change as to ethanol-free gasoline, but with some of the same effect. I wouldn't try to control for it, just for:

- failure to bring truck to op temp (fluids, greases, tires)

- coolant temps kept high

- increased idle time

We see some of the same problem in summer what with trying to keep the cab cool, thus increased idle time (reduced average mph, why I'm big on that number). Winter is definitely a rolling resistance problem, from all aspects of road, load & weather. Cumulative. If coolant temp is low, we know the other temps are also too low for best friction reduction. Plus cold air density ain't favorable to highway speeds. Etc.

I also think that only a rough estimation of percentage loss is possible. So long as nothing (nothing) changes on the commute year-to-year, then one can predict for that vehicle used that way with that load on those roads. Harder to use as a cross-reference for others (except, maybe, as a minimum).

So, Minimum Man what are the opening & closing dates for "winter fuel" in your area, and can you give us that minimized percentage loss in the time period covered? (Walk on water again, DD, all winter)