View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
ChrstphrR
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
On the CPU horsepower side it may not be quite so bad because clusters don't scale linearly. On the other hand you will want/need lots of RAM and with out it it will take much more than 2 months.
I'd kept your recommendations in mind for quite some time now, from back in this thread:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post215720

Currently, though it will change when I get time, my desktop runs XP, 3gb, and a Core2Quad (2009). The other machine uses Ubuntu, and the Core2Duo that was in the other machine originally, and 8Gb ram.

I'm contemplating swapping the processors around, or finding another Core2Quad to fit in the second machine. Eventually I'll make the former machine dual boot, or run XP on a VM, and then I'll try to get 8 or 16gb of RAM installed.

I'm still quite interested in dcb's thread about "OpenFoam for the masses", just have not had time nor resources to put into the logistics of it all... until now.