Thread: V-dub.
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
WHAT?!?

They are made of really thin gauge material... woe to the person that tries to step on one! You'll damage it for sure! So... the weight is negligible, and I'd bet the aero differences are so small as to be undetectable in fe.
Hate to be a stickler here, but the OEM German boards are not only heavy but really sturdy. If you are replacing the Brazilian aftermarket boards or the Mexican boards then yes, they have about as much metal as a Coke can with half the strength. Either way its a weight savings, minimal to a hummer, but perhaps more significant to a bug.

I would also remove the bumpers front and rear if you state allows it otherwise retro fit them with the early 60's single blade style. SInce they are made in Mexico they are really light. Perhaps finding the early 60's mirrors which are small and fit on the door hinges themselves. Moon covers are a given and readily available for bugs and if you are lookng to retrofit fenders some of the early 60's bettles had fender skirts available as a NOS option (New Old Stock). I may be able to find out what years had them available and if I can get my hands on some.

I also agree that the pre 67 front fenders with their larger enclosed headlights may provide less resistance that the ones you have now ... WOW ecomodding a bug .. heh ...

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???