View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #45 (permalink)
winkosmosis
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
The 4WDs w/o manual hubs have either dashboard controlled hubs or automatic hubs. But, they have locking/unlocking hubs. IF they don't they are AWD, and there is no 2WD with AWD.

The '94s were available with dashboard controlled hubs or manual. I chose manual because I was told they were more robust than the electric ones.

A system such as you describe on your Jeep... is new to me.

Jeep four wheel drive systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like Jeep used a plethora of different systems. What do you have?
I just read that some trucks have automatic hubs now... That's interesting, never heard of those. I guess they decided the gas savings of disconnecting the axle from the wheels is worth the complexity.

I have the NP231 transfer case. It has 2WD, 4WD part time, 4WD low range, and neutral modes. Wranglers also use this tcase. The other option that the Cherokee had at the time was the NP242 which also has a full time mode, with differential action. Jeep guys don't like it because it's slightly weaker, and they think full time is useless... Because they ignorant and don't realize the full time mode is useful for hard trails, wet roads, ice, etc.

Anyway it's not uncommon to have permanently locked hubs with part time 4WD. That's why lifted independent front suspension vehicles usually have problems with CV joints, because even in 2WD mode the front halfshafts are spinning.