View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
3dplane
EcoModding Apprentice

14 Mirage - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 68.74 mpg (US)
The best (also simplest) solution I saw for this was on someone's white car here on EM. A huge front bumper that blocked all grill inlets had a square hole on it that was blocked by a flat plate sliding door from behind. The door moved on tracks (simple slits/groove holding the door parallel to the face of the bumper) allowing sideways motion by a cable from inside.

I doubt you will be able to use anything from the RC car. Unless the complexity of the gears,pulleys,sliders,joints makes it non practical. You will have to power the receiver(RC car) somehow,then turn it off when not in use etc.
Depending on your design "attaching" a door to a motor is not easy considering it will have to operate while air pressure is pushing on the door as you drive. Extreme gear reduction is going to be required for the RC car motor to achieve the torque needed to move a door.

Just my opinion. I would do the simplest sliding door on a cable and I bet even that will need the bugs worked out too before it will work as intended.

Barna