View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I did read it. You claim that it's always better to tow something than to carry it inside, which is nonsense, expecially when it relates to performance.

Sure, there are times when towing's the better choice. I'm not, for instance, even going to try to convince my horse that she ought to ride in a pickup bed :-) And it's better to tow the occasional load - those sheets of plywood, for instance - behind a small car, than to always drive a vehicle big enough to carry them. But you're paying an additional penalty, the extra weight & drag of the trailer, in order to reduce the cost of driving all those times when you're not pulling the trailer.
The only thing I can bring to the table is my experience with the CRX.
That car has a 400-pound max. load limit.It is not rated at all for towing.
I fabricated a 1-1/8" ball hitch for it and pulled a utility trailer with only an upper body shell from the Dallas/Ft.Worth area to Los Angeles,California and back,running with a 1,300-lb load on the return leg.
MPG dropped from 52,to 50 mpg @ 55-mph.
By putting the load in the trailer I was able to run 900-lbs overweight with only a 3.84% drop in fuel economy.Of course,this was a majority of steady-state highway driving.
This an instance when the trailer offered an alternative unattainable with the tow vehicle.