View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Most vehicles can tow a trailer. Actually, most all, is a better way to put it. While I got off on the wrong conceptual foot in this thread, there are ways to analyse what a vehicle is capable of (axle ratings, tire ratings) that are of use. Vehicle manufacturer "ratings" do not have the force of law in any respect, they are what those "individuals" are comfortable recommending (thus the conundrum of the exact same vehicle sold overseas having the ability to tow two or three times as much).

It's reasonable to expect a 30-40% drop in mpg for a conventional, fairly large trailer. Less so the more aero is the rig along with fewer stops or hilly terrain.

An overloaded single vehicle -- we've all seen it -- where the passenger compartment and roof are jammed, crammed and tall, is the poor choice where some trailers can provide a better way to move the same load. And as cheaply in fuel, sometimes better (due to aero, COG, and fewer steering inputs).

I've done it both ways. The cost of a trailer rental was not offset by mpg that was better with the trailer, but the improved vehicle handling -- in a relative sense -- offset that to my satisfaction. It's distinctly easier for a tow vehicle to pull a load that would strain it if carried aboard.