View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Quits
EcoModding Lurker

Quits zx6 - '90 kawasaki zx6
90 day: 58.8 mpg (US)
Thanks, I have really enjoyed the site so far.

I plan on gearing 17-45 from my stock 15-45 and see how it does. I'm pretty sure I can keep the stock chain length with that setup. I was really surprised at 55mpg out of a 600cc 100hp motor considering the outside temps are usually around 30, and I have 3 cold starts with choking required everyday. I also have stoplights on my route to work so I will have to stop and go atleast 8 times on each 11 mile trip.

My conditions are far from optimal and I feel as though I am getting pretty good numbers from a stock bike. I don't think 80mpg is impossible with better weather and no stop and go. Add in gearing changes and no cold starts it shouldn't be to hard I presume, but I haven't been able to find any info on these types of bikes and good mpg #'s. Although I doubt anybody buys them for this purpose.

From everything I have read it appears impossible to get much over 50 out of these racing motors, but I like a challenge. Also everyone seems to like the 250cc bikes and I even read of a few hitting 100 mpg with them. I want to be different and my goal is to consistently hit 70 mpg commuting, and 80+ all freeway cruising on a weekend cruise.

I will definately look into custom fairings or possible modifications to mine in the future. I will probably look into skinnier and taller tires as well.

Last edited by Quits; 12-10-2011 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: adding info