View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
SalvageS10 Build Thread

I guess it's time to start a thread.

The SalvageS10 is a 1991 chevy S10. It'll be a proof of concept - proof to my wife that I can finish the thing, proof to myself that the concepts are sound and I really can do direct drive with no transmission. When the proof is done, perhaps I can put some money into a more reliable donor vehicle that I can use as a daily driver. If the SalvageS10 makes it into service as a daily driver, it will likely need to be a hybrid to get the necessary range.

My commute is 30 miles each way, highway driving with 5 corners, each 90 degrees with a yield or stop sign. The posted speed is 100 kph or 62.5 mph but I need to be able to drive at least 70 mph to keep from being run over.

I may be able to convince my boss to store the lead-acid batteries for a high-power charger at work ... we'll see.

The SalvageS10 will be guided by a couple of concepts:
- make it safe
- make it cheap

The next few posts will deal with some of the high-level ideas. I also have some research stuff that I'd like to do with this project. I want to know more about electric motors and how they work. This is how I intend to find out.

I know that Jack Rickard will be disappointed with this build - it will be powered by lead acid. As pricing comes down, and my expertise goes up, that may change.

The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (12-11-2011)