View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Batteries and Power in general

I am undecided on how to tackle THE central question of EVs - the batteries.

I have a line on some larger lead-acid batteries (no, I don't have details yet. I don't have them yet) that are regularly 'traded in' for a core charge when they can no longer last half a shift - 4 hours.

The GVRW limit for the truck is 5200 lbs. 1411 lbs listed as the payload.

If I add me - 250 - and make some assumptions about the weights of the stuff that is removed - I have about 1300 lbs for power. That includes the batteries and any power electronics on them as well as the cabling.

1300 lbs, at 150 - 200 lb per battery. Let's say around 96 VDC. I may be able to modify the VFD to run on a lower voltage. The motor would need to be properly matched to work well. 208VAC is about as low as our industrial motors go, and 30 - 40 HP at 208V three phase is not common.

So I'm looking at using a DC-DC converter on each of these large batteries, boosting the 12V up to around 150 VDC. I can use these converters, and chain the converters together in series to boost the voltage but it is inefficient. Around 85% - which makes for a lot of heat to get rid of and a lot of valuable battery power.

Still to be determined