View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #54 (permalink)
wyatt
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd777 View Post
Hi Wyatt -

Thanks for the kind words regarding following through.

Actually, what you are calling the "Bubble Butt" was the most aerodynamically clean boat-tail that our SolidWorks FloWorks CFD program has ever produced on a 53' dry van freight trailer.

I do have press releases, build pics, and a web site on the 1983 truck and the current SuperTruck being built. The SuperTruck is not finished yet, but we hope it will be ready for testing next month. So I'll probably start a seperate thread on the project in this aero forum of EcoModder, even though we use, like most folks here, more than just aero to get optimum fuel mileage. I just wanted to wait a little before revealing more details. If I get too involved and spend too much time in posting and replying to questions, I'll never get the damn truck finished.
By "aerodynamically clean" do you mean "lowest drag"? If so, I would be really surprised. I wonder how good of a job the CFD does. I haven't worked with it in a few years, but the one I used back then was very good in the "stress/strain" realm, and very bad in the "fluid flow" realm (it could be tricked into almost anything). I suppose things have come a long way since then, but I know NASA still backs up all CFD work with wind tunnel testing to ground their models, and if you have the means, a small scale wind tunnel test might not be a bad idea (if you haven't already).
Be sure to post a link to the new thread when you start one, I would be interested in following.