View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
drockshabac
EcoModding Lurker

New to forum, 96 Accord 41mpg

I've been reading some of the great ideas from this site off and on and its time to get contributing. I'm concerned with carbon emissions and dislike driving culture in general. I currently live in Atlanta where public transport is terrible, people leave cyclists meager space for survival and all places seem far apart.

I have owned a 96 Accord with a F22B2 gas engine for a while and when some repair needs came up, I began to wonder about making the car more efficient. Its not terrible to begin with, and is rated 22/29mpg stock (although this seems a little conservative).

Its a Canadian car and the exhaust rotted out, so I replaced it with 3" stainless steel pipe (with little resonating chambers, and one of those N1 "mufflers", but basically its a large, unrestricted pipe) from the catalytic converter back. The kit was on ebay, like many other "cat backs" and costs about $130 delivered (vs $350+ for a stock replacement). It took about 2 hours to change with hand tools and a little elbow grease. Its certainly louder now, and I keep a silencer on the tip, but on a recent drive from Georgia to Ontario I filled up the gas and realized i'd made 41mpg (I tend to do a lot of coasting and follow others when possible, but this was a steady 75mph even on heavy climbs). On a subsequent trip I was averaging 85mph for a couple hours and still achieved 38mpg.

I'm impressed with the new economy of this car, and want to stretch things farther.

I am interested in other refinements I can make which give it high efficiency at 'flow of traffic' highway speeds. I'm concerned that ram air and cold air intakes may increase fuel consumption, but I feel that a better aspirated engine could increase efficiency.