View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #5273 (permalink)
amino
EV DIYer

Cold weather problem

After reading about jackbauer's experience with the controller problem at low temperature, I had been careful when switching on the last few days as it has been hovering around freezing here.

A couple of days ago when I switched the car on (in neutral) and stepped gently on the accelerator, the motor did not run. Opened the hood and checked the led's and the yellow one was flashing. After a couple of tries, the led's stayed on steady and everything was fine until this morning, with the ambient temperature at about 2 degrees C, when it did would not run until I warmed up the controller with a heat gun! However it stopped working when I applied the brakes at the end of the block! The contactor would engage after the precharge time, but the led would keep flashing.

With the hood open, it may have warmed up a little, as finally, after a few tries, the led stayed on when the contactor kicked in and it ran fine after that.

Could it be a bad solder connection that is causing this? I'll redo as many of the solder connections as I can and test it again soon.