View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Drove a Leaf today

I was at the Nissan dealership today looking at the Versa since they advertise the stripped model at under 11k. I know the President well having worked with his father decades ago. They had a Leaf demo (marked demo on the window sticker) sitting there. Mr. Ayers (the President) suggested I take it for a ride. Went close to 5 miles. When I started it said distance to empty was 83 miles. When I finished it said DTE was 88 miles. Guess I created energy, LOL!

Shut off everything and the salesman riding with me was surprised that I could get the reading to actually rise 1 mile for every mile I drove. I love the car and could actually afford to buy one, but when you do the math and include total cost of ownership, it just can't come close to the Maxima when you count all costs. The property taxes would probably eat up the fuel cost savings.

It's a shame that I don't think the wife would drive it to work and her local jaunts, which burn about 8 gallons of fuel a week, or probably 3 recharges total. Stated fuel cost was $581 a year while we spend about $200 a month on fuel. I even have 220 in the garage already.

The old Maxima is pushing 29 MPG and will probably take about $1500 in repairs to reach 200k miles, when the current set of tires wears out. Another 2000 gallons of gas and you are at say $10,500 without insurance. Of course insurance would be higher and the property taxes would be at least 10 times as much.

Property taxes on the almost 13 year old Maxima are a joke.

I told them I might be interested in the demo when they got finished with it.

regards
Mech