View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
drockshabac
EcoModding Lurker

backpressure and oil

Thanks for the ideas. The accord dosent drip a drop of oil, although i've had the valve cover off one too many times lately. Every few months it starts up with an impressive blue cloud so i think a valve seal is bad which could be the root of it all.
Its rated to use 5w just like our 92 civic vtech, but i should look into it because it even uses a bottle of 10w after a couple thousand miles.

Good ideas on back pressure. The silencer creates a a lot of back pressure and gives it some torque so i feel alright shifting into gears a little under 2000rpm. Funny until you mentioned it, i was unhappy about the back pressure but it makes sense.

I cruise around 2500-3000 i dont know how to calcuate gearing but its at 3000rpm at about 80mph so its comfortable going quick. In the city i try and keep it at 1900rpm but sometimes i worry about the bottom end of the engine.

I'm curious about the civic too. the exhaust fell to pieces (and to me eco modding is about spending as little as possible on gas as well as parts) so i opted for an ebay pipe set up the same. right now the 92 auto/1.6 vtech civic gets about 34-37 mpg. I'll see if there's a difference when we change it up

I appreciate the responses.