View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
3dplane
EcoModding Apprentice

14 Mirage - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 68.74 mpg (US)
Cd: Thanks! The rain shield is also made by me and it is very low profile or shallow.(only sticking out a little). It was actually not easy to bend the slight angles lenght wise into the banana shaped plexi (or whatever) glass. I need that thing here in FL I always run the window cracked down summer and winter. I also painted or misted the top portion of it black because in the morning the sun would be blinding me/annoying me through that part of it.
Look at the sort of head on picture with the old mirror sitting on the cowling for refrence you will see that it's not the usual bubble sticking out. Good point though!

Carlo! Thanks! You are right I was debating how I want it to look but then I went with the simplest hug the car style.However one can make it any shape they can dream up. You could go the other way around make it wide and flat with a horizontal crease in the middle etc. I remember the Russian guy who built up the body on that car that was awesome job!

Deathrain:Good question! I forgot to mention how I mounted it! ( I might edit it into the first post later).
The inside surface of the mirror is not covered with Bondo! I covered it with clear tape (sand it first) to seal it before the Bondo job on the rest of the mirror.
So I positioned the mirror on the car door where I wanted it then I used pointy wood screws to go through the original mounting bolt holes and poke through the tape marking the screw locations. Then I marked an X so the center point is in the middle of the X. Then I took a 3/8 drill bit and carved away /drilled into the foam making room for the holes to be filled with hot glue! Once cooled I drilled a smaller pilot hole guided by the X marks of the screw locations.
Now I can turn my screws into something rigid (cured hot glue) and it has enough surface touching the foam inside so if snugged the screws carefully it will not rip this hot glue filler out of the foam. The mirrors only weigh 2 ounces so it will not fall off in normal use for sure.

Barna