View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #5326 (permalink)
adamj12b
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Heuston , we have a problem! Went out this morning about 8am. Temp was -2C outside but about +2C under the bonnet thanks to the 12v battery heater. Key on , contactor closes , no throttle response. Recycled the key and power comes up. Reversed out of the drive , got out , closed gates , into 2nd pull away a few yards then the lcd freezes at 133 motor amps and the contactor opens. No power. No amount of recycling the key would bring the controller back to life or engage the main contactor. Pushing 1.2 tons of German automobile 20 yards on a slippy road is no fun.

Hooked up the laptop , opened the traction disconnect (just in case) and key on. The green update indictor on rtd flashed a few times , the dialog box filled up with garbage and the precharging and high pedal lockout alarms stayed on. Controller would not respond to commands. Recycling the key produced the same results. The few flashes of the activity indicator and the garbage serial data got me thinking possible clock problem. Dragged out the extension lead and heatgun and warmed up the micro and crystal. Key on , normal operation restored. Went into town to get a few bits (3 mile round trip) without any problems. I have the log file saved on the laptop so i'll post it later. Looking very like a micro or crystal issue.
Very interesting.

The atmaga168 is rated for -40C to 125C so my guess is its not that.

The crystal in the BOM for rev2C is PN: FOXLF160-20 which is good for -20C to 70C, but I know you used parts that were more available to you so this might not be the same one. My guess is this is the culprit.

On a side note, does anybody know what happened to the wiki?

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com