View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #5328 (permalink)
evimarn
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Heuston , we have a problem! Went out this morning about 8am. Temp was -2C outside but about +2C under the bonnet thanks to the 12v battery heater. Key on , contactor closes , no throttle response. Recycled the key and power comes up. Reversed out of the drive , got out , closed gates , into 2nd pull away a few yards then the lcd freezes at 133 motor amps and the contactor opens. No power. No amount of recycling the key would bring the controller back to life or engage the main contactor. Pushing 1.2 tons of German automobile 20 yards on a slippy road is no fun.

Hooked up the laptop , opened the traction disconnect (just in case) and key on. The green update indictor on rtd flashed a few times , the dialog box filled up with garbage and the precharging and high pedal lockout alarms stayed on. Controller would not respond to commands. Recycling the key produced the same results. The few flashes of the activity indicator and the garbage serial data got me thinking possible clock problem. Dragged out the extension lead and heatgun and warmed up the micro and crystal. Key on , normal operation restored. Went into town to get a few bits (3 mile round trip) without any problems. I have the log file saved on the laptop so i'll post it later. Looking very like a micro or crystal issue.
Back in the old times we used to get similar problems on electronic organs and synths which used to respond well to a slight increase in temperature and at times moisture control, these units used to sit in very cold and damp places with no heating or climatic control, so a small wattage bulb ( the filament type ) used to be left powered on in the cpu area enclosing all by a small plastic container.Being a small wattage lamp no excessive heat was liberated only enough to keep cold and moisture in control and voila it did the trick, untill another place or a revised version of cpu or crystal was obtained.