View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Geo Metropolis
Enthusiastic EcoModder

Gnatmobile - '96 Geo Metro LSI
90 day: 44.68 mpg (US)

theRAV - '01 Toyota RAV4 NV
90 day: 21.07 mpg (US)

ACCELICA - '95 Toyota Celica GT Convertible
Last 3: 23.46 mpg (US)

The Van - '05 Chevrolet Uplander LS LWB
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
Behind the tire, make a long trailing edge that comes to a point. In front of the tire, either do nothing, or put a small rounded deflector that approximates the curve of a naca foil.

Between the front and rear tires, you can put in a catamaran which is a box between the wheels.
What you've described here is basically what Aerocivic has done here: he has deflectors in front of the tires, long parallel channels (like double sideskirts) running the distance between front and back tires along the outer and inner edge of the tires, and a mini boat tail shape after the rear tire.

This whole thread has been really informative for me as I consider what's best for my metro which already has a full bellypan.

I'm willing to build catamarans but I think doing the airfoil shape before and after front AND rear wheels like suggested in Post 11 (I imagine I should only angle the foil for the front wheels as air is traveling more head on by the rear wheels?) would might prove effective and would allow for better clearance of driveways and the like.

What do you guys think?