View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGrey View Post
Yes, and what happened to your Neon? How many Neons do you see on the road now despite the swarms that were rolling around in the 90's and early 00's? I could go entire days without seeing/smelling one now. Compare that with all the mid-90's Civic, Corollas, Cavaliers, Sentras, and Sunfires that are still on the road and don't burn oil. What good is 136 horsepower when your car is on blocks all the time? I might only have 115 horsepower, but it's worth never having to check my oil level. When I hit 125K, 4 quarts will be in the pan. On the bright side, if you burn a quart a week, you never really have to do an "oil change".
Might be just my area but I see 95-99 neons all the time here, I actually pass myself in my commute. I do totally agree that almost everyone builds better quality cars than chrysler then and now.

My 95 Peon/neon is alive and mostly well, it just has many small faults or "character"
AC just quit.
Intermitent wipers work intermitently or the control stalk starts smoking.
Leaky window seals over 100km/h.
Leaking oil from the headgasket, cam sensor seal, and a couple other places. (still have to change the oil though!)
Radio is down to one speaker working.
Sagging springs.
Speedo reads 5km/h high.
The ECU has a high pitch whine after you shut off the car.

Some of the faults result in better mileage though, no AC, lower ride height, lower actual speed with the speedometer... It also has a WAI stock!

It has never left me stranded, returns pretty good mileage and the body is in good shape. It also spanked a few "superior" cars at the last autocross so I think I'll keep it while it lasts!
Ian