View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

The D series engines were used in 86 or 87, but they weren't really the same D-series engines that were used later.

First-generation CRXes (1983-1987) were all carbureted except for the Si models (85-87). So the standard (often called the "DX") and the HF models were both carb'ed. I don't really know most of the differences between the first-gen DX and HF models.

The 2nd-gen CRX ran from 88-91 in the US (some 92s elsewhere). All were fuel-injected; the standard (DX) model used Dual-Point Fuel Injection (two injectors at the throttle body only) while the HF and Si used Multi-Point Fuel Injection (one injector at each intake port). The HF only had 8 valves with roller rockers; the other two had 16 valves with plain rockers.

The 2nd-gen HF had the tallest gearing of any D-series Civic. Not only were the individual gears tall, but the ring and pinion ("final drive") were also tall.

Swapping an injected motor into a carbureted chassis is not straight-forward. At the very least a fuel return line must be added, which is not that easy to do except if you do a hack-job. The wiring changes would also be quite extensive for that swap. Not to mention you have to fabricate mountings and possibly re-locate mounting points to swap an 88+ motor into the earlier chassis.

Swapping between carbureted 1st-gen models is probably easier, but I don't really know. My guess, if you can get everything installed and working correctly, is that you'd get close to HF mileage on the freeway, but not as good in town. Weight generally makes more of a distance in stop-and-go driving than in steady-state freeway driving.

-soD